Hip Strengthening for Iliotibial Band Syndrome
Weakness in the hips can be a cause of iliotibial band syndrome. One the flare up has subsided and you feel comfortable stretching, it is time to start strengthening those muscles. Strengthening the hips and thighs is key to preventing another IT band flare up down the road.
The article linked below provides a lot of insight into ITB Syndrome as well as stretches and strengthening exercises. The exercises I’m showing you today were found at this link.
Bridging with Single Leg Raise
Strengthens glutes, obliques, and thighs!
- Lie on your back with your hands on your hips.
- Lift hips and shift weight onto one foot.
- Extend other leg without allowing pelvis to drop–keep it level!
- Hold for 10 seconds, lower pelvis, and repeat on the other side/leg.
Improves gluteus medius control and function! 😀
- Lie on one side with hips bent at a 45 degree angle and the knees at 90 degrees.
- While keeping your heels together, lift the upper knee by turning your leg out at the hip. Keep your pelvis straight, don’t roll back to lift your leg!
- Hold for 10 seconds and work up to 10 repetitions. Repeat on the other side.
Strengthen the quads and improve knee control!
- Find a stable step. It can be between 2-6 inches high.
- Slowly step down from the step with one leg. Keep your leg straight (knee following toes, not angling inward towards other knee).
- Keep your pelvis level! Put your hands on your hips to help you see if your pelvis stays level.
- Repeat, working up to 3 sets of 10. Do both legs evenly!
- One of the most common running injuries, the ITBS (runnerunleashed.com)
- Say What? Runner “Lingo” 101 (runfindyourhappypace.com)
- Quick Tip of the Week: “X” Does Not Always Mark the Spot (healthheralds.wordpress.com)
- Non-arthritis Hip Pain (smartlivingnetwork.com)
Posted on May 9, 2013, in Iliotibial Band Syndrome, Uncategorized and tagged Gluteus medius muscle, health, hip, iliotibial band syndrome, it band, it band syndrome, Knee, legs, Pelvis, physical therapy, strengthen hips, strengthening, stretching, thighs. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.